On the 31st day of March, 1953, the County Board of Supervisors adopted a resolution granting the petition for the formation of the district and calling for an election to be held on the 22nd day of May 1953.
As a result of that election, the county Board of Supervisors passed a resolution declaring, “a majority of all votes cast at the election were in favor of the formation of the district and declaring the election of the following directors: O.J. Backus, Joe Fox, Sr. Harry Levy, Julio Lombardi, and Joe Sprott.
The District is located in Eastern Kern Co., California. On the east it is bounded by the Kern County/San Bernardino county line. On the south, it is bounded by the Antelope Valley Soil Conservation District. On the north it is bounded by the Kern County/Inyo County line. On the west, it is bounded by existing School District Line and the East Boundry of the Tehachapi Soil Conservation District. In general, the east boundary follows the crest of the Tehachapi Mountains as closely as is possible for a School District line to follow. The approximate area of the district is 1,221,460 acres. The total number of persons who are owners of land in the district are 4,493.
The district includes the towns of Boron, Cantil, Edwards, Inyokern, Johannesburg, Mojave, Randsburg, Ridgecrest, and Willow Springs.
The organization meeting of the Directors was held July 1, 1953 in the Elementary School Building in Mojave, California. O.J. Backus was designated as President of the Board and Mrs. Faye Allersmeyer as Secretary.
A District work program outlining in general the soil and wonder conditions and the long time objectives which the District hopes to obtain in the solution of such problems of soil and water conservation was adopted by the directors of the district at a meeting held on the 20th day of January, 1954. A District work plan, designated to provide a well rounded and coordinated plan for the conservation of soil and water resources in the District was adopted by the Board of Directors at a meeting held on the 17th day of February 1954.
To Facilitate the establishment of soil and water conservation measures in the district, the Board of Directors, at a meeting held February 17, 1954, adopted resolution #4 entering into a Memorandum of Understanding with the United States Department of Agriculture. This memoranda was signed in the Secretary’s office March, 22, 1954.
Other accomplishments include a Reconnaissance Conservation Survey of the entire district, the receipt and approval of applications for assistance in solving conservation problems from 15 farmers, the preparation of four farmer district agreements, and the district agreements and the distribution of several hundred trees to be planted as windbreaks.
Complying with the aims set forth in the Districts work plan, every effort will be made to attain certain goals in the future. Some of which are complete detailed conservation surveys on areas for farming operations are being developed. Assist ranchers in planning and establishing conservation programs on their individual ranches.
Encouraging wind break planting by supplying information on the selection of desirable species, and providing planting stock. Other conservation problems will be attacked as they arise.